- 25 dead in Australia’s forest fire so far, the administration issued a health warning on Monday
- The Australian Open will be from 20 January to 2 February, Djokovic said – the tournament date may go ahead
Over 2 thousand houses have been burnt in the forests of southeast Australia since September. 25 people and 48 crore animals have died because of the fire spread in about 1.2 acres of forest. Other affected areas, including Melbourne and Sydney, have poor air quality. The administration issued a health warning on Monday. Because of this, the Australian Open to be held from 20 January to 2 February is also under threat.
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has offered to help control the fire. He has also spoken to Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison on the matter. On Monday, Morrison announced the formation of the National Bushfire Recovery Agency to give $2 billion (about 14 thousand crore rupees).
‘AUSTRALIAN OPEN ON SCHEDULE’
Novak Djokovic, the world’s No. 2 tennis player and 7 times Australian Open winner, has also raised concerns. He said the air quality in Melbourne was poor. They may discuss the Australian Open between officials and players. There is a possibility that it may extend further the tournament date. Tennis Australia chief Craig Tille has expressed the hope that they could hold the tournament on schedule.
VICTORIA AND NEW SOUTH WALES MOST AFFECTED
The fire is most widespread in the coastal areas of Victoria and New South Wales in Australia. The forests of Sydney, Malakuta, Vollemy National Park, Port Macquarie, Newcastle and Bluemounts areas were the worst affected.
BARTY WILL DONATE HIS PRIZE MONEY FOR THE BRISBANE INTERNATIONAL TOURNAMENT
The Brisbane International tournament has started in Australia from 4 January. World No.1 tennis player Ashley Barty said that she will give her prize money of Brisbane International to the victims. Barty of Australia has given Rs 15 lakh to the Royal Society working for animals. She hopes to give at least 1.8 crore rupees to the Red Cross Society. Cricketers Glenn Maxwell, Chris Lynn, Matthew Renshaw, and Diarsi Short will also give 18,000 rupees to the victims for every six of the Big Bash League.